Local authorities receive £2.9 billion to support vulnerable people
This tranche of funding is from the £500 billion COVID-19 fund announced in The Budget.
Responding to the announcement, Rick Henderson, Chief Executive of Homeless Link, said:
"People who are homeless are some of the most vulnerable in our society, and this population is facing severe danger during the COVID-19 outbreak, as they are often relying on communal night shelters, hostels with shared sanitation, or sleeping on the streets. They also have no facilities for self-isolation.
"Now that the country is in a lockdown period and following this investment from government, every local authority area should now move quickly to ensure that:
- No-one is sleeping on the streets
- No-one is sleeping in a communal setting or using shared sanitation facilities
- Local services can arrange people into appropriate groupings to prevent risk
- Everyone who needs to self-isolate in line with government guidance is able to do so.
- Staff have the access to testing and the Personal Protective Equipment that they need to operate safely.
"Homeless Link will be supporting our 800 plus members and local areas across the country as they undertake these actions."
Share this page
Talk To Us
Head of Communications and Advocacy
Caroline leads Homeless Link's communications, campaigns and information team.
020 7840 4458