Jo Prestidge talks about her experiences of using the mental health intervention toolkit for people who sleep rough, and explains how you can learn more to help save the lives of people with mental Illness sleeping rough in your area.
Understanding Learning Disabilities and Autism
Please note this event has expired. To view our current calendar of events and training courses please click here.
This course will give you the practical skills needed to help clients improve self awareness, build motivation and self-esteem, break free from unhelpful behavioural patterns, and take responsibility for their actions and choices.
A mixture of training methods is used on this course. You will explore typical problems faced by professionals that work with vulnerable people, such as the tendency to attribute “blame” on to others and resistance to pro-activity. The blend of approaches is designed to ensure that you will gain insights that are of immediate, practical use in your everyday working life.
Who is this for?
This informative training course, is suitable for all staff working with individuals with learning disabilities or Autistic Spectrum Disorder (ASD), particularly those new to the field.
What will you learn?
The course will cover:
- Recognising different types of learning disability
- Identify possible causes of learning disabilities
- Understand the definition of Autism and misconceptions surrounding it
- Understand how ASD can be diagnosed
- List common symptoms of ASD
- Understand how the “triad of impairment” links to ASD: communication, social interaction, flexibility of thinking
- Identify the main points of the Autism Act 2009 and the Autism Strategy for England
- Identity where Asperger Syndrome fits on the Autistic Spectrum
- Explore effective communication strategies for working with clients with learning disabilities, including clients with MLD (Mild Learning Disabilities), Autism and challenging behaviour.
Homeless Link, Minories House, 2-5 Minories, London, EC3N 1BJ
Share this page
Talk To Us
Lana co-ordinates our range of scheduled training and events.
020 7840 4497
1 Apr 2019 - 11:14am
19 Feb 2019 - 12:13pm
13 Feb 2019 - 11:27am