Support Worker (Somewhere Safe to Stay Hub)
As an Assessment and Referral Support Worker you will support people accessing the Staying Safe Hub to identify their appropriate housing options, and to access this quickly to prevent homelessness or rough sleeping. You will carry out initial assessment and address immediate needs for people presenting at the Hub ensuring access to health care where necessary, and that basic needs are met. You will identify housing options and the most appropriate pathway, and complete the necessary referral forms, housing applications, benefits forms or other processes in order to effect resettlement. You will act as the link between the people we work with and a range of local authority, community and voluntary sector providers.
As part of your employment package with us, we offer:
- a competitive salary, comprehensive training and development programme,
- 25 days annual leave plus bank holidays, increasing each year to 30 days annual leave plus bank holidays after 5 years
- option to buy or sell annual leave up to one week’s annual leave
- a health cash plan providing cash back towards healthcare bills and other wellbeing benefits
- occupational sick pay
- contributory group pension scheme
- free life assurance
- cycle to work scheme and season ticket loans
About the Role
Evolve Housing + Support are recruiting for an exciting, new project in Croydon called the Somewhere Safe to Stay hub (SStS). The Hub will act as a short-term assessment and sleep space for those both at risk of immediate rough sleeping and as a response to those verified as rough sleeping in London Borough of Croydon. It will divert those at immediate risk of rough sleeping and provide “Somewhere Safe to Stay” with intensive move on support.
A+R Support Workers will spend much of their time based at the Hub, however you will be expected to travel between sites for training and within the local community to support the people we work with. We recognise that working with people who are disengaged and vulnerable can be very stressful. On top of one to one meetings with your line manager, we offer access to an employee assistance programme and regular facilitated reflective practice sessions.
- Experience of supporting vulnerable people to achieve resettlement.
- Provision of housing advice or experience of rapid assessment and referral work.
- An understanding of the reasons why people become homeless and the needs and challenges they face
- Knowledge of safeguarding issues and how they apply in day to day work
- Knowledge of statutory and voluntary resources available to homeless people including an understanding of housing and welfare benefits
Skills and Abilities
- Ability to document clear records and to evidence outcomes achieved with customers
- Ability to engage with customers to complete housing assessments and identify move on plans
- Ability to support customers to navigate swift resettlement and access a number of services
- Ability to work inclusively, as part of a team, and to give and receive support and constructive feedback and also to lone work when required
- A level of self-awareness in respect of personal resilience and a commitment to engaging in activities to support your own wellbeing
- Ability to communicate clearly both verbally and in writing, demonstrating a good standard of written and spoken English
- Competent in using Microsoft word, excel and inputting to database
About Evolve Housing + Support
Evolve is a leading homelessness charity in London, providing housing and support to over 2,000 people each year. Our aim is to help children, young people and adults who are homeless or at risk of homelessness to become independent and resilient. We believe in building on people’s strengths, aspirations and goals to help them break the cycle of homelessness.
We offer a programme of support tailored to meet people’s individual needs, including housing, employment and skills training, mentoring and counselling. We work with young parents and children at risk of exclusion to build the skills and resilience that can help prevent homelessness. We campaign to end street homelessness. We build affordable homes to help people move on to an independent life.
Evolve Housing + Support is an equal opportunities employer and encourages applications from all sections of the community, including people who have experienced homelessness themselves.
Please ensure that your answers give a clear outline of how your application meets the criteria for this job.