Take a creative and person-centred approach to building and developing a keyworking relationship with the people you support.
Motivational Interviewing: an introduction
Please note this event has expired. To view our current calendar of events and training courses please click here.
Who is this course for?
Frontline staff in the homelessness and supported housing sector.
What will you learn?
On completion of this course you will have:
- Explored the theory, philosophy and spirit underpinning motivational interviewing.
- Looked at an applicable range of models of change.
Have practised a range of communication skills including;
- Reflective listening
- Rapport building
- Discussed the pitfalls of motivational interviewing and how they can be avoided.
- Explored the process by which change occurs, and the role of workers in assisting movement through the application of motivational interviewing techniques.
- Explored how motivational interviewing could be used to support client change.
- Discussed how to apply a range of practical strategies to promote client engagement.
- Considered the principle reasons clients are reluctant or ambivalent about engage with the assessment or services.
- Have made an outline personal action plan to implement the learning.
The first module will broadly focus on introducing the MI model of change, promoting and developing client engagement and the context of an MI approach in delivering client support.
- Introduction to the course
- The origins and definition of MI (A brief overview)
- Understanding change
- Exploring motivation and client feedback
- Looking at current ways of working with MI – Outcomes Star
- Promoting and developing client engagement
This module aims to develop understanding of the MI model of change and how the model can be used to help our clients. In addition participants will know a range of tools to promote and develop engagement when using MI.
- Learning review
- Exploring the MI model of change
- An overview of applicable Motivational Interview approaches
- Exploring the importance of empathy
- Working with and resolving Ambivalence
- Decisional Balance Exercise and a round up useful MI Tools
- Understanding and dealing with Resistance and Discord
The concluding module will continue to develop participants understanding of a MI approach can help clients by focusing on using communication skills within a MI context
- Learning review
- Core MI skills, introducing OARS – Open Questions, Affirmation, Reflective Listening and Summarising
Looking at communication within the context of MI
- Client Centred
- Reflective Listening
- The importance of summarising
- How to elicit Change Talk
- Developing Rapport
- Further Learning
How our online training courses work: Each course subject consists of 3 modules, which will take place over 3 consecutive weekly installments. The course will be tailored to address the needs of the sector during COVID-19. When you sign up, you will be signing up for all 3 modules.
Module 1: Tuesday, 4 August 2020 | 10.00am-11.30am
Module 2: Tuesday, 11 August 2020 | 10.00am-11.30am
Module 3: Tuesday, 18 August 2020 | 10.00am-11.30am
£75.00 per person - all three modules are included in this price
Payment is by card via PayPal. For bookings of 3 or more places, an invoice can be raised - please email Lana.Newby@homelesslink.org.uk to make bookings to be invoiced. We are unable to take requests for invoicing for fewer than 3 people for our online training.
This course is also available to be booked for staff teams of up to 20 people, to be delivered online "in-house" in live interactive sessions on dates to suit your organisation.
Please contact James.Cuming@homelesslink.org.uk or telephone James on 07375 042 815 for more information. Prices are from £850 for up to 20 staff members.
Share this page
I really enjoyed the training and the subject matter, it was really well presented and Jo was brilliant, very friendly and informative. I would attend again and am interested in pursuing this further.Sara Cockrill,
Talk To Us
Lana develops and co-ordinates our range of scheduled training and events.
07950 954 473
1 Apr 2019 - 11:14am
19 Feb 2019 - 12:13pm
13 Feb 2019 - 11:27am