Unconscious Bias is a bias we are unaware of. It is the combination of views and opinions, some of which may be inaccurate or irrational, but have been acquired across our history of our work and personal lives.
Our background, personal experiences, societal stereotypes and cultural context can have an impact on our decisions and actions without us realising. Unconscious bias is something we all have as humans.
These biases can often negatively affect our dealings with people and general decision making in life. Unconscious bias affects us all.
During our work and personal lives we will meet individuals from different backgrounds, with different life experiences, and this will bring various challenges.
Understanding and being aware of unconscious bias is both a vital and valuable skill to have within yourself and within your organisation.
This training course will provide you with the information you need to understand this concept and how awareness of it and managing it will enhance your daily interactions with clients and colleagues, and within your personal life.
Who is this course for?
All staff and managers within homelessness, supported housing or Local Authority services, including HR managers and staff involved in creating organisational policies.
What will you learn?
This course will:
- Define what unconscious bias is
- Explore the psychology behind our thinking processes, the how and why unconscious biases are formed
- Explore the sociological model which explains how values systems are created in individuals and how this is links to individuals developing unconscious biases
- Enable delegates to spot unconscious bias within themselves and/or within your organisation, and the possible impact of this on clients and colleagues
- Discuss the concept of micro-aggressions and how to overcome these
- Discuss why we all need to be aware of unconscious bias, particularly in our sector
- Explore how awareness of unconscious bias can support your organisation's values and equality and diversity strategy and goals
- Look at the tools and strategies one can use to manage unconscious biases.
Please note: This is a challenging and emotive subject, this course may trigger some emotions. We do our best to facilitate a safe and psycholically informed environment and teaching style for the benefit of delegates attending this course.
Face to face: One-day course
Online: Three 1.5 hour modules delivered in one day
We can be flexible on the above delivery model if needed, but an additional cost may be incurred.
Costs for one full-day face to face course or three 1.5-hour online modules
This course can be booked for a team of up to 16 for face to face training or up to 20 for online training:
Members face to face: £940 plus Trainer expenses
Members online: £940 - no Trainer expenses
Non-members face to face: £1,335 plus Trainer expenses
Non-members online: £1,335 - no Trainer expenses