This course merges the counselling and communication principles of motivational interviewing with the practicalities of delivering support to help clients achieve their goals.
Who is this course for?
It is suitable for frontline staff in the homelessness and supported housing sector.
What will your team learn?
Through this course, your team will:
- Know the theory, philosophy and spirit underpinning motivational interviewing.
- Know an applicable range of models of change.
- Have practised a range of communication skills including;
- Reflective listening
- Rapport building
- Know the pitfalls of motivational interviewing and how they can be avoided.
- Know the process by which change occurs, and the role of workers in assisting movement through the application of motivational interviewing techniques.
- Understand how motivational interviewing could be used to support client change.
- Know how to apply a range of practical strategies to promote client engagement.
- Describe the principle reasons clients are reluctant or ambivalent about engage with the assessment or services.
- Have made an outline personal action plan to implement the learning.
How will it be delivered?
This one-day course can be booked for a team of up to 16 for in-person training or up to 20 for online training.
The training will run online 09:30-16:00 and in-person 10:00-16:30, with plenty of breaks throughout the day.
If you need something different, we can tailor the course delivery to suit your situation, with some potential adjustments in cost.
How much will it cost?
Members (with 30% discount): £940
Please note, if you're opting for in-person training, the expenses of the trainer (e.g. travel to your location) will be added to your invoice.
We are a social enterprise so choosing training with us not only equips your team with vital skills but also fuels impactful research and campaigns, so every purchase goes back into ending homelessness.