Become a Trauma-Informed Service
What does it mean to be Trauma-Informed?
A programme, organisation, or system that is trauma-informed:
REALISES the widespread impact of trauma and understands potential paths for recovery.
RECOGNISES the signs and symptoms of trauma in clients, families, staff, and others involved within the system.
RESPONDS by fully integrating knowledge about trauma into policies, procedures, and practices.
And seeks to actively resist RE-TRAUMATISATION.
Why become Trauma-Informed?
According to the Lankelly Chase 2015 Hard Edges Report 85% of people with complex needs (homelessness, substance misuse and those involved in the criminal justice system) have experienced complex trauma in their childhood and beyond.
Services have found that working in a Trauma-Informed way benefits the people they support and their staff. Becoming Trauma-Informed can increase service user outcomes, create a more resilient and empowered workforce, and reduce incidents.
Another reason Homelessness and Supported Housing Services across the country are looking to become Trauma-Informed is to help them secure funding. Commissioners are starting to require services work in a Trauma-Informed way and it is a requirement in many funding bids.
How can my service become Trauma-Informed?
The process of becoming Trauma-Informed will be different for every service. Each service will be at different stages of implementation and have differing aims. We can provide your service with a flexible offer to ensure we meet your needs. When working with any service to become Trauma-Informed we adhere to the six Trauma-Informed principles:
- Trustworthiness and transparency
- Peer support
- Collaboration and mutuality
- Empowerment, voice and choice
- Culture, history and diversity
Our training and consultancy team will match you with our expert Homeless Link Associates, to deliver the outcomes your organisation needs.
What we can do for your service?
- Train your team. We will work with your organisation to create a bespoke training package, which will ensure that all your staff have the skills and knowledge to work in a Trauma-Informed way.
- Identify Trauma-Informed Champions. We can help you identify Trauma Champions within your organisation, who can help embed the approach into your service.
- Update policies and procedures. We will also work with you to update your policies and procedures to ensure they are Trauma-Informed.
How to book
To create a customised Trauma-Informed package for your team contact us for a consultation, email email@example.com or call 0207 840 4491.
Share this page
Each stage brought real positive change within the organisation.Lee Fabry, YMCA East Surrey